Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Hugs, cuddling and crying...yuck!

I am not a cuddler. I don't like to be touched (by Tim is okay but not just anyone), I don't hug my girlfriends very often, I just am not that type of person. Growing up we weren't really a 'huggy' family. We didn't say 'I love you' all the time, I was just like my dad. We kept our emotions to ourselves, you could tell how we were feeling but we never talked about our feelings, never showed weakness...we were tough. At least I thought I was. On the outside I seemed pretty tough, never cried, didn't seem sensitive at all. But I am sensitive. I try not to let too much hurt my feelings and I always try NOT to cry, especially in public. I'd say my friends have maybe seen me cry about 5 times or so. Not too much considering I've been around them for the last 10 years or so. I don't know why, but I always thought crying was a sign of weakness and I wanted to keep up my 'tough image' and never cry. I think I've cried at work maybe 3 times and that was because of really nasty customers. But man, I was embarrassed. I just look ridiculous when I cry, I just lose it. It is not like when the tear just rolls gracefully down your cheek or anything. I cry so much I can't even talk. Maybe it's because I rarely cry so when I do all the tears that should have already come out are coming out?!?
Our family has changed a lot since growing up. We hug every time we see each other, we love spending time together for dinners or just hanging out, and we laugh probably about 80% of the time. We tell each other we love each other and we make sure to spend lots of time together when we can. I don't know what changed, but I'm glad it did. I tell Charlotte probably 20 times a day that I love her and I hug and kiss her all the time! So much that she pushes me away...uh oh...maybe she's turning into me!

I read in a magazine a few weeks ago that you should hug someone at least 5 times a day. That it really makes you feel better. Maybe I'll do a little experiment and try it out. Get ready Lakehouse ladies...the hugger is coming!

Do you cry a lot? How many times do you hug someone a day?

No comments: