Monday, December 15, 2008

Divorce...is it an option for you?

When Tim and I got married, we went into it thinking that divorce is not an option. I think if you go into a marriage thinking divorce may be an option when things get tough (which they will), the odds are you throw in the towel and will end up divorce. With the divorce rate being so high (pretty much one in two will be divorced) I think we all know that marriages take a lot of work. Sometimes I think it would be easier to walk away and start over! But that is not an option. I think marriage is one of the hardest things. It is frustrating, trying and sometimes I just want to kill Tim (not literally...well maybe...lol). It takes time (lots) to really know your partner, know what frustrates them, know their temper, know when to leave them alone and know when they just need someone to listen. When we first got married, we fought a lot. We fought about stupid things, we bickered, we got on each others nerves. And we still do, but we also know how to handle each other when we're in a mood. But it took 5 long years, and we're still learning. There are lots of stresses in marriages. Kids, money, pets (I can't stand my dog...anyone want it?!), work, sex, etc. And there always will be, but we are learning how to handle these things and trying not to take it out on each other. If Tim comes home from work and has had a bad day, the only person to take it out on is me. I'm the only one there, and vice versa. It makes sense that we will irritate each other and get on each others nerves. There's no one else to take your frustrations out on. But in time, we are learning how to handle these things. I know it's not going to be easy, I mean, we've only been married 5 years, and with divorce not being an option for us, we still have a good 50 years ahead of us so we may as well learn how to deal with our problems and keep trying to make our marriage stronger.

Do you think marriage is hard? Has is gotten any easier?

No comments: