
For some reason, when people ask me what I do I just hate saying "I'm a waitress". It just seems like it is looked down upon, like I couldn't make it through school so I'm 'just a waitress'. But being a waitress/waiter is actually quite difficult. It takes a lot of organization and skill to be a good one. I'm sure everyone has experienced having a bad server. Some people are just not cut out for it. You need to be able to multi task, put on a happy face despite your mood, be polite and stay organized.
There are a few things that make servers (well some servers) annoyed.
1. Separate checks. No, it's not that hard to do, but it's a pain. People will get up from their seats, switch with someone else and expect us to get it right! People...we go by the seat number, not what you are wearing, or your name. THE SEAT NUMBER!! Sit down and don't move! Or when a table of 4 comes in and wants the checks in couples, but they order pretty much the same thing so their bills are like $2 apart...come on people! But can we show our frustration? No, we just smile and say, 'Sure, separate bills? It'll be my pleasure'.
2. "I'll have a hot water with lemon please". Honestly, we know you have a tea bag in your purse. If you can't afford to buy a tea, you probably shouldn't eat here. Tim Hortons is just up the road, you're more than welcome to go there...lol. That is what we're thinking, but we just smile, and say 'I'll get that right away for you'.
3. Leaving 3-8% tip is NOT good! Do you know how much servers make an hour? Below minimum wage! I think it's like $7.25 or something! We live off our tips...leaving $5 on $120 bill is NOT good! But we smile, and say 'thankyou so much, have a great night'.
4. Servers do not get breaks. We don't eat (except the delicious bread) from 4-9 or 10pm. So if your server is a bit cranky, maybe it's because they haven't eaten since lunch!
5. Servers work every weekend and holiday. While everyone is relaxing on the beautiful long weekend, and going out for dinner with their family, we are serving them. It sucks, but we do it anyways, with a smile on our face.
6. When a customer makes you cry. This one is one of the worst. Sometimes you just get a rude, demeaning customer that thinks they own the world or something. Some people are just so rude, it is unbelievable. And there are so many things you want to say to them, but you can't. You just have to kill them with kindness, which I think is sometimes even more hilarious because they know they're being rude, and you just be so fake and unbelievably nice to them and it pisses them off even more! But honestly, it's not that fun...it really hurts your feelings. But seriously, are you really going to be rude to the person who's bringing your dinner out? We could do something to it...just kidding, we don't actually do that.
7. When we're clearing a table and someone wants something wrapped up and we accidentally throw it out...then pick it out of the garbage. JUST KIDDING!!! Just thought I'd throw that it there, we really don't do that.
I probably could go on and on about these things, but they're just something to think about the next time you go out for dinner. Servers work hard. Yes, we make great money, but we do work for it.
So that is my tribute to all servers. Some of you who don't serve may not understand any of this and think I'm being ridiculous, but servers will all agree. It's a hard job, try and appreciate it next time you're out.
There are a few things that make servers (well some servers) annoyed.
1. Separate checks. No, it's not that hard to do, but it's a pain. People will get up from their seats, switch with someone else and expect us to get it right! People...we go by the seat number, not what you are wearing, or your name. THE SEAT NUMBER!! Sit down and don't move! Or when a table of 4 comes in and wants the checks in couples, but they order pretty much the same thing so their bills are like $2 apart...come on people! But can we show our frustration? No, we just smile and say, 'Sure, separate bills? It'll be my pleasure'.
2. "I'll have a hot water with lemon please". Honestly, we know you have a tea bag in your purse. If you can't afford to buy a tea, you probably shouldn't eat here. Tim Hortons is just up the road, you're more than welcome to go there...lol. That is what we're thinking, but we just smile, and say 'I'll get that right away for you'.
3. Leaving 3-8% tip is NOT good! Do you know how much servers make an hour? Below minimum wage! I think it's like $7.25 or something! We live off our tips...leaving $5 on $120 bill is NOT good! But we smile, and say 'thankyou so much, have a great night'.
4. Servers do not get breaks. We don't eat (except the delicious bread) from 4-9 or 10pm. So if your server is a bit cranky, maybe it's because they haven't eaten since lunch!
5. Servers work every weekend and holiday. While everyone is relaxing on the beautiful long weekend, and going out for dinner with their family, we are serving them. It sucks, but we do it anyways, with a smile on our face.
6. When a customer makes you cry. This one is one of the worst. Sometimes you just get a rude, demeaning customer that thinks they own the world or something. Some people are just so rude, it is unbelievable. And there are so many things you want to say to them, but you can't. You just have to kill them with kindness, which I think is sometimes even more hilarious because they know they're being rude, and you just be so fake and unbelievably nice to them and it pisses them off even more! But honestly, it's not that fun...it really hurts your feelings. But seriously, are you really going to be rude to the person who's bringing your dinner out? We could do something to it...just kidding, we don't actually do that.
7. When we're clearing a table and someone wants something wrapped up and we accidentally throw it out...then pick it out of the garbage. JUST KIDDING!!! Just thought I'd throw that it there, we really don't do that.
I probably could go on and on about these things, but they're just something to think about the next time you go out for dinner. Servers work hard. Yes, we make great money, but we do work for it.
So that is my tribute to all servers. Some of you who don't serve may not understand any of this and think I'm being ridiculous, but servers will all agree. It's a hard job, try and appreciate it next time you're out.
No comments:
Post a Comment