When you find out you're pregnant, the first thing you hope and pray for is that your baby will be healthy. Now more than ever, we are seeing so many more kids that have disabilities...down's syndrome, cerebral palsy, autism, etc. When I was in elementary school, I only remember one girl out of the whole school who had a disability! Why is there so many now? Is it the environment? The food we're eating? Or just that now they can identify it easier?This blog is a tribute to mother's who have a child (or children) with a disability.
I have a niece who has cerebral palsy. Charlotte and her cousin are only 20 days apart, so I was pregnant with Fraser pretty much the whole time. Fraser did everything right...ate ridiculously healthy, worked out, went right by the book. How does something like that happen? It's not fair. But she always has her head up, is always positive and is such an awesome mom. God will not give you anything you can't handle, and I always said that's why that didn't happen to me, because I honestly wouldn't have been able to handle it. It takes such a strong and patient person to handle Mackayla, and I see how Fraser is with her when they come to visit...and it boggles my mind how patient and understanding she is. She is one of the strongest people I know. Fraser has not slept through the night in about 2 years! And she's still happy! It's unbelievable! You have to teach me to have a little more patience. Love you Fra!
My best friend's sister has a little girl with down's syndrome. She had her when she was 17! How hard that must have been, I could only imagine. She also has 2 other kids now, who are a handful, but she is still so happy and positive. I can't even comprehend how full and tiring her days must be with 3 kids, one with special needs, but every time I see her she is so happy, caring...she's just hilarious! You are so strong Sam, you're an example to all of us of what it is to be a patient and loving mother.
I work with a lady that has a 13 year old boy with down's syndrome. She is an amazing person. Caring, understanding and so loving. She would do anything for her kids. Even knowing when she first had her son that he would never have a 'normal' life, and that he would live with them for the rest of his life, she was still so positive and loving. Imagine having your first child and having all those hopes and dreams for them, and they are pretty much shattered... it just must've been so hard. It takes an unbelievably strong women to be able to handle that! But she is determined to give him the best life he can have and provide a loving and positive environment for him to grow up in. Your kids are so lucky to have you, you're an awesome mom Lina!
When we're complaining about are kids being a handful that day, or being so needy, maybe we need to stop and think about these mom's that have a handful EVERYDAY! There's no break for them...it's the rest of their lives.
To every mother with a child with special needs:
You are strong, you are patient and understanding. It takes a special women to deal with the things you have to deal with. You're an example to all of us.
1 comment:
Trudy I agree with you and how wonderful Fraser is...I saw her grace and patience first hand, and was so proud of her!
As for you thinking that you don't have what it takes, I'm sure you do, we just don't know until we are tested!
I saw that Charlotte got a stitch I hope she's feeling ok, not to sore, and cranky :S
xo
Post a Comment