Monday, January 12, 2009

Falling!

Yesterday was an interesting and scary day. It's a long story but we had to take my little sister to the hospital because she had fainted in the morning and hit her face really hard on the floor. That was a very traumatic incident. Thank God I was standing right behind her when she passed out. I remember her saying she felt like she couldn't stand up anymore, and she just went down, and I couldn't catch her. I screamed for my brother (we stayed at his house the night before) and he came running out. I ran and got some juice and tried to make her drink it but she was totally out of in with her jaw clenched so tight. We got some syrup (which ended up dripping all the way down her face), then some icing from the cupcakes I had made. Greg had to physically open her mouth while I put the sugar on her tongue. She finally came back and had no idea what she was doing on the floor. It was so scary! Thank God we knew what to do with a diabetic! Beck has been a diabetic for almost 20 years. Her sugar was really low when she had passed out. After she fainted, about 20 minutes later she started throwing up and that continued for a couple hours. Her head was pounding, it was like pain she had never felt. We decided to take her to the hospital in case she had a concussion or something. When a diabetic gets the flu or is throwing up a lot they have to be hooked up to an IV immediately to get sugar into their system to feel better. They got her in right away and hooked her up, and got her ready for a catscan to make sure there was no bleeding. My mom said it would probably be a while to find out the results so we should just go home and wait for a call. Everything ended up being okay, she was put on morphine for the pain and the CT came back clear. She was home about 4 hours later.

On a lighter note, what I actually wanted to write about today was why people think it's funny when other people take a huge wipe out. When I left the hospital, I didn't have a jacket or anything because we were in such a rush to get there, and I was still in my pyjamas. I was running out to get into my car because it was so cold and I was wearing just a "Jesus is my homeboy" t-shirt, jogging pants that were way too big and they were tucked into some boots (with no tread, I might add). I had my beautiful new purse on one arm (which looked real good with my outfit) and my keys in the other and I took the biggest spill probably in history. It was so slushy and gross out I just totally wiped out into a huge pile of slush, landed on my hip and skinned my knee all up. Of course, there is a small group of people right near me...I look around to see if anyone saw me and they were like, "Oh my gosh are you okay?!". I know they wanted to laugh, I just know it! I get up, humiliated and say I'm okay just a little embarrassed. I am soaked...completely drenched, and so sore. I know there is blood coming from my fresh wounds but I didn't want to look like a baby so I struggled to WALK to my car and not limp. Man! I just start laughing because I don't want to cry, and I was thinking about how funny that must've looked!
Why is it so funny when people wipe out? Why is our first instinct to laugh? (well mine is anyways...)

No comments: