Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Germs

I have a weird thing with public restrooms. I go in, examine them, and if they are up to my standards, I'll go in. Usually I have to go in about 2 or 3 before I find one that is suitable. If there are any hairs, drips on the seat or anything in the toilet, I do not use it. Although I don't squat every time, only if absolutely necessary. I will use public restrooms in restaurants (usually they're okay...usually...), hotels, but RARELY gas stations.

Gas stations are the worst. I only will go in a gas station if I don't have a choice. I find myself not touching any handles, crouching over the toilet making sure nothing comes in contact with any of my skin, and DEFINITELY flushing using my foot, although I always flush with my foot...

All I think about is all the germs lurking around on everything in a public restroom. Did you know that there has never been a case of having acquired an STD from a toilet seat? (unless they are actually having sex on a toilet seat...that is disgusting). And common cold germs or viruses die rapidly and you'd have to contract them in large amounts (which you don't on a toilet seat) to actually get sick.

The thing that has the most germs in a restroom is the faucets. People come out of the stall and turn on the faucet with their dirty little paws. Did you know that 95% of people say they wash their hands after they go to the washroom, but actually only 67% do? I'm sure it's the men that are lying, but who knows... so wash your hands WITH soap! And turn that faucet off with a paper towel. Or bring some antibacterial in your purse, then you don't even have to touch that dirty faucet.

If you're paranoid about yucky public restrooms, think about this. Shopping carts actually are a lot more germy than restrooms. The only thing worse than them are bus rails and playground equipment. Now that is disgusting. Everyone uses a shopping cart...and I'm sure a lot of us didn't realize how gross they actually are, I didn't. How bad can it be? Pretty bad. Shopping carts have more saliva (probably from our children), bacteria and fecal matter than escalators, public telephones AND public restrooms...just something to think about.

So the next time you're out shopping, hopefully you'll remember this note and you'll remember to wash your hands when you leave the store.

2 comments:

Mr. McCabe said...

just imagine that door knob you touch to get back out Trudy. If you think the toliets are poorly cleaned, that baby has never been cleaned. And all those dirty hands touching it....

Anonymous said...

I hear you on the bathroom germs - yuck!
I use a purse hanger alot to keep my bag off the floor. You can use them in the restroom if there is no hook. If you have never seen them, I got mine from a company called PursePal. They donate money to good causes from each one sold which is nice - but really I just hate putting my purse on a dirty floor.
Find at www.purse-pal.com