I need some advice for Charlotte's separation anxiety problem! She will be 3 in June, and I cannot leave her anywhere by herself. Not Sunday school, not gymnastics (even though I'm standing about 10 feet away the whole time), nowhere. I think this is a common problem with the first child, but I thought she'd be over it after 10 weeks of gymnastics. Nope. I've tried everything. Rewards, psyching her up for a couple days before, tough love...nothing seems to work. I know a lot of parents are judging me when I stay with her in the classes but if I don't, she LOSES it. She will cry hysterically and she doesn't stop. People will say to just leave her and let her cry but it hasn't worked. I have left her there and they always have to come and get me. And by that time she is so upset there is not a chance of her going back in. And I feel guilty not only for leaving her screaming, but for the teacher because they are busy too with all of the other children, they don't have time to try and comfort a 2 year old that is losing it! What do I do? Will she grow out of it? Is there another way that I haven't tried? Does anyone else have this problem? She will be going to school in a year and I feel like it is going to be a HORRIBLE adjustment if I can't nip this one soon!
Although this gymnastics class has been a pain in the butt with trying to convince her to go every single week, having to be right there the whole time, dealing with the whining and crying every time, we are still going to sign up for the spring class...another 8 weeks, Lord help us!
Her report card read, "Charlotte is a very talented gymnast but needs to work on coming into the gym alone." Lol...please help me!
Saturday, April 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Don't worry about it, just check out with her school if you can bring Preston with you when you have to stay all day with her!!lol Not a big deal, you have nothing to do anyway, right!!!! l0l I went to school with a boy who's mom was in our class too! Oh ya, that was Grade 12, she graduated with him. not quite the same!! Does that help!
I think it is the first child syndrome. Vinny did the same thing. We actually stopped going to church b/c he would freak out if we left him. I couldn't leave him anywhere either. It wasn't until the start of school that kind of snapped him out of it. It was hard though. He would cry at the beginning, but there were other kids that did too, and the teachers have seen it before and are helpful. Your kids have the fortune of having you stay at home with them, so they aren't used to being watched by other people. So what if you have to go to gymnastics with her. Why should you stress about how to leave her and stress her out trying to get her to stay without you? Just stay. These years are so short and before you know it she'll be begging you to leave her. That's my thought:)
Post a Comment