Monday, February 23, 2009

Waitresses

Waitresses have a bond. We know serving can actually be a hard job. Sure, we have great days when everything runs smoothly and we walk out with $150-$200. But those are few and far between. There are also the days that everything goes wrong. You punch something in wrong and get yelled at from the kitchen, you drop some plates, you are just not on the ball.
On Valentine's Day I was working, and two tables sat in my section that I knew. I didn't know them well, just acquaintances and it just threw me off (maybe also because I hadn't worked in 3 weeks...). I was taking the order and was thinking about something totally different. I walked away (keep in mind this was a table of TWO...not twelve or anything) and went to ring it in but could not remember for the life of me what they had ordered and what I was thinking about when I was taking their order. I was looking at them and I thought I was listening but apparently I wasn't. How embarrassing that I had to go back and ask them again what they wanted. And yes, that happened with both of the tables I knew. I HATE serving people I know. Unless it's my parents or something, acquaintances are the worst! I feel like it's embarrassing that I'm working as a waitress for some reason. I feel like a bit of a failure.

But then I think about it. I didn't waste thousands of dollars on schooling and not get a job in the field I studied. Or I couldn't get a job in the field because I wanted to stay home with the kids. I didn't study something and get my degree and then decide that I didn't want to do that anymore. I CAN work evenings and still stay home during the day with Charlotte. I make good money, comparable to some careers. I have a lot of flexibility in my job, I can take a week or two or three off if I need to (or want to). I can go away in the summer with my family. I can get any day off that I need. I work at a good place that I have met good friends that I will be friends with the rest of my life. And I actually like my job, and for that I am really lucky.




No comments: